Hello friends, old and new! If you are new to my blog, welcome. It’s been a little quiet here at Hola Sara, but now that the holidays have arrived, I am back to give you a whole lot of Hola Sara goodness. To kick it off, I am happy to share my go to pumpkin pie recipe. This pumpkin pie is my go-to for the fall holidays, especially Thanksgiving. It’s quite easy and your house will smell so good, which is a win in my book.
The filling is straight from Libby’s 100% pure pumpkin can, yup I said a can! The crust, however, is a family recipe passed from my Grandma Hilda.
Even though I’m using canned pumpkin filling, I tweak their recipe with some Hola Sara touches. Here are my addendums:
I omit the ginger, because I’m allergic, but you can keep it. I know it’s good, but it makes my mouth itch. I substitute the white sugar with dark brown sugar. Dark brown sugar will give you a pumpkin pie that is much softer and moister than what white sugar can. That’s it, very simple and easy changes.
- 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (29 oz.) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 2 cans (12 fl.oz. each) Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 2 unbaked 9-inch (4 cup volume) deep-dish pie shells
- Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs in large bowl.
- Stir pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Pour into pie shells.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- 2/3 cup shortning
- 1 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- Mix shortning, 1 cup flour and salt to a paste.
- Add all at once, 1 cup flour and water to your paste mixture.
- Mix w/ hand until the side of the bowl is clean. Make sure to mix softly with your hands, do not knead.
- Roll out between two pieces of wax or parchment paper using a rolling pin.
- Measure the diameter of your pie pan and place the dough in your pan. You can decorate the rim of your crust by using your finger or folk.
- Place your pie filling (from Libby's 100% pumpkin pie can) in your pan.
- Optional: brush on egg white and milk along the rim of your pie crust before baking.